Kadhai Bhindi…Okra sizzled in Indian spices
A light crispy version of the traditional Bhindi cooked on the tawa and sizzled with Indian spices
Sliced okra (Bhindi), chopped onions, chopped tomatoes, chopped bell pepper (capsicum), ginger garlic paste, curry leaves, cumin seeds, sliced green chillies, coriander seeds
- Put a kadhai on the gas and let it heat till heats up high. Then add some oil to it.
- Immediately add the sliced okra to it and roast in the oil. Keep stirring the okra to avoid it from burning. If needed, add more oil later. Cook the okra this way till it is crispy but still green mostly. This should take about 5 – 10 minutes. Once cooked, remove the okra from the flame. Alternatively, the okra can also be deep fried in this stage; however, that is not a very healthy option. Precooking the okra in this way prevents it from exuding its sticky texture in the kadhai recipe and also makes it crispy.
- Now heat oil in a pan and temper it with ½ spoon of jeera and crushed coriander seeds.
- Subsequently, add chopped onion and a pinch of salt. This helps to bring out the moisture in the onions and cook them well.
- Add turmeric after the onions are transparent.
- Add ginger garlic paste and cook till raw flavours vanish.
- Add curry leaves, green chillies and chopped tomatoes.
- Then add coriander power, cumin powder and chilli powder.
- Mix and cook it well till tomatoes are just slightly mashed up.
- Add chopped green and yellow bell pepper and avoid cooking it too much after this to avoid loosing the crispiness of the peppers.
- Sprinkle chopped coriander and allow it to cook for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add the pre cooked okra to the above mixture and cover the vessel to cook for another 4 – 5 minutes.
- Bhindi kadhai is ready. Garnish with coriander before serving.