Veg. sweet corn soup with a tinge of chilli
I remember as a kid going to Bandra to have streetside ‘Indian’ chinese with my mum and dad. This soup has been a favourite since then…also one of the few items that pretty much resembles its Chinese counterpart.
A pinch of red chilli flakes chilli, 350 ml of vegetable stock (1 tablespoon powdered vegetable stock mix to 350 ml of water), corn flour paste (½ tablespoon corn flour to 2 spoons water, mix thoroughly to form a consistent paste), 250 gm of sweetcorn kernels, ½ sugar, salt to taste and soy sauce and vinegar to garnish.
- Crush half the corn kernels in blender and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the chilli flakes to it. Let them sizzle in the oil for a couple of minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock and crushed sweetcorn to it and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the corn kernels and sugar to it. Cover and cook with corn kernels are soft (about 5 – 7 minutes).
- Add the corn flour paste and bring to boil.
- Shimmer for 2 – 3 minutes or till desired consistency is achieved.
- Serve with a tinge of soy sauce and vinegar.