Lal mulli sabzi…Red radish cooked with radish greens
Everyday, I pass by the local vegetable vendor, looking at the most cute little radish bunches. Tempted to buy them as much as I was, I didn’t know what I would make out of it. A quick look on the net and I designed my own recipe…the very first at that…
1 onion, a small chink of fresh ginger, 1 green chilli, a bunch of red radish with radish greens (about 12 – 15), ½ tablespoon black mustard seed, ½ tablespoon cumin seeds, ½ tablespoon sugar, ½ tablespoon red chilli powder, ½ garam masala (optional), a pinch of aestofida, a pinch of turmeric, salt to taste and oil to cook, coarsely crushed peanuts
Separate the radish from the radish greens and chop into think slices. Similarly, wash and finely chop the radish greens.
- Grind the onion, ginger and green chilli to form a course paste.
- Heat oil in a pan and temper it with mustard seeds, cumin seeds and aestofida.
- Add the crushed onion mix from step 2 and sauté till the onions are translucent.
- Add the radish greens and sauté for 2 -3 minutes.
- Add turmeric and red chilli powder and sauté for another 2 – 3 minutes.
- Now, add the sliced radish and mix well.
- Lower the flame and cook with the lid on till the radish are cooked.
- Add sugar and garam masala (if using).
- Add the crushed peanuts and cook for another 3 – 4 minutes.
- Serve with chapattis or as a side dish with rice.
Try a tip:
Try including a couple of garlic cloves in the onion paste. Also, you can try adding a finely chopped bell pepper to add extra bite to the dish.