Chowli aamti…Black eyed bean curry
A typical maharashtrian delicacy…this recipe goes lovely with rice.
1 ½ cup pressure cooked black eyed beans (chowli), 1 large finely chopped onion, 2 medium sized tomatoes, 3 garlic cloves, 2 green chillies, 2 tablespoons dried cocunut, 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, ½ tablespoon garam masala, ½ tablespoon black mustard seeds, ½ tablespoon cumin seeds, 4 – 5 curry leaves, a pinch of turmeric, 1 tablespoon cumin-coriander powder, ½ tablespoon red chilli powder, ½ cup water, salt to taste and oil to cook, fresh coriander to garnish.
- Heat oil in a wide open pan and sauté onions and dry coconut on a pan till the onions are light brown.
- Add these to a mixer and blend together with tomatoes, garlic, ginger and green chilli. This is the coconut paste.
- Heat oil in a pan and temper it will curry leaves, mustard seeds and cumin seeds. Add the coconut paste to it and cook for 5 – 6 minutes.
- Subsequently, add turmeric, red chilli powder and cumin-coriander powder.
- Add ½ cup of water and cook for 5 mins.
- Add the pressure cooked beans.
- Add salt and water, if the curry looks too dry, and cook till desired consistency is achieved.
- Add garam masala and cook for 3 mins.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve with rice.
Try a tip
Try serving this curry with thick sev (fried Indian noodles) and have it on its own.