Giant cous cous and puy lentils salad
I will admit honestly that I wasnt a particularly big fan of cous cous until I had this…and now, I am ever ready for it…though just for this one…
70 gms giant cous cous, 30 gm puy lentils, 1 sliced bell pepper, 5 – 6 sun-dried tomatoes, 1 ½ cup vegetable stock, 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar, 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, 10 – 12 finely chopped fresh mint leaves, chilli flakes as per taste, coarse ground pepper and salt to taste
- Boil the giant cous cous in the vegetable stock for about 7 – 9 minutes. Drain the cous cous and keep aside.
- Boil the puy lentils till they are cooked but have a bit left. This should take about 20 – 25 minutes if they have not been soaked overnight. In the latter case, it should just take 10 – 15 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- Mean while, make the lemon and mint dressing. Add the extra virgin olive oil, white wine vinegar, lemon juice and mint leaves to a salad dressing shaker or a small jar with a tight lid and shake vigorously.
- Heat ½ tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil and temper it with the chilli flakes.
- Sauté the bell peppers for 3 minutes.
- Add the sun-dried tomatoes and sauté for another 2 minutes. Turn the flame off.
- Add the giant cous cous, puy lentils and salt as per taste and mix well.
- Remove from stove and add the lemon and mint dressing and mix well.
- Serve hot or cold.
Try a tip:
Try adding sweet corn kernels and some rocket leaves to this salad to make it even fresher. Alternatively, you can try garnishing it with coriander or basil.