Spicy Parsnip soup
An adapted Jamie Oliver recipe, this was an immediate success with me…worth a try…a unique blend of parsnips with Indian garam masala spice
3 peeled and chopped parsnips, 1 small chopped red onion, 1 tablespoon crushed ginger-garlic, ½ tablespoon garam masala, ½ tablespoon sugar, a dash of milk, ¾ tablespoon vegetable stock powder, coriander to garnish
- Boil the parsnip till it is soft. Drain the parsnip, but DO NOT throw away the drained water.
- Heat oil in pan and add the ginger-garlic crush, onions to it. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the garam masala and further cook for another 3 – 4 minutes, till the onions are soft and translucent.
- Add the boiled parsnip to the onions and mix well to ensure that parsnips are well coated with the spice mix.
- Transfer all this to a blender and blend to form a fine paste.
- Transfer this paste back to the pan and salt and pepper as per taste.
- Add vegetable stock powder, sugar and water to achieve a consistency slightly thicker than the desired consistency. Cook for 5 – 10 minutes.
- Add milk acquire the desired consistency. Shimmer for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander before serving.
Try a tip:
Try using coconut milk instead of normal milk to bring an added twist to this soup.