Dal tadka…Indian lentil soup
A favourite dal all over India
200 gms boiled toor dal, 200 gms boiled yellow moong dal, 1 finely chopped onion, 1 chopped tomato, ½ tablespoon turmeric powder, 1 ½ tablespoon ginger-garlic crush, 6 – 7 curry leaves, ½ tablespoon black mustard seeds, ½ tablespoon cumin seeds, 2 finely chopped green chillies, salt to taste and oil to cook, coriander to garnish
- Heat some oil in a pan and temper it with curry leaves, mustard seeds and cumin seeds, in this same order.
- Add green chillies and ginger-garlic crush to it and cook for about 4 minutes.
- Add the onions and cook till they become translucent.
- Now, add turmeric and mix well. Cook for 2 minutes.
- To this, add the tomatoes and cook for another 5 minutes, till all ingredients seem to have blended well.
- Now add both, the pre-boiled toor dal and the pre-boiled yellow moong dal. Mix well and add water to bring to the desired consistency.
- Add salt and bring to boil on a medium flame.
- Garnish with finely chopped coriander and serve with rice.