Here is a quick recipe to serve as a side dish to make a plain meal tastier and interesting
2 large potatoes, 1 sliced red onion, ½ tablespoon turmeric, ½ tablespoon red chilli powder, ¼ tablespoon ginger powder, ½ tablespoon garlic powder, 1 tablespoon cumin-coriander powder, 2 – 3 tablespoons bread crumbs (alternatively, use semolina), salt and pepper to taste
- Slice the potatoes diametrically (like crips) into thin slices, about 0.25 cms in thickness.
- Immerse them in boiling water and cook in the microwave for 3 minutes at full power.
- Drain immediately to avoid water retention and let them stand in the drainer for about 10 minutes to ensure that all the water has drained.
- Mix all the above spices in a large bowl to form a fine spice powder.
- Coat the potato slices in this spice powder and place on a heated and oil greased pan. Cook for 5 – 7 minutes on each side.
- Sauté the onions in butter and some spice mix, if leftover.
- Remove and serve with the potato chops.
Try a tip
For the carnivores in us, you can easily substitute the potatoes with fish to make fish chops or fish fry as it is traditionally known in India. The meat eaters are constantly raving about it!