Mushroom and chick pea burgers
Of the few food blogs that I am currently following, Frugal feeding is a fav…healthy, veggie (a large number at that) and cheap…you cant help but like it. Browsing through the older entries, I found this original burger recipe that immediately caught my eye. So I started out trying to follow the recipe, but along the way, in an attempt to get rid of a few left overs in the fridge and to make it slightly as per my taste, I think I modified it a bit. It turned out nice anyways. Thanks for the inspiration Frugal feeding.
8 – 9 chestnut mushrooms, 300 gms grinded chick peas, 1 seeded bread, 2 green chillies, 3 garlic cloves, a knob of root ginger, 1 cup rocket leaves, I cup chopped coriander, ½ tablespoon fresh lemon juice, a pinch of turmeric, ½ cumin powder, ¼ tablespoon chilli powder, salt and pepper to taste
- Blend together the mushrooms, seeded bread, green chillies and garlic in a food processor. Remove and keep aside.
- Now, blend together the chick peas, ginger, garlic, coriander and rocket leaves. Add to the above mushroom mix.
- Add turmeric, cumin powder, chilli powder (if adding), fresh lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste.
- Mix the ingredients together to form a dough-like lump.
- Divide into small lumps. Roll them in your hands and then press lightly to form burger shaped cutlets.
- Bake in the over at 210⁰C for 50 minutes. Turn sides after 25 minutes.
- Serve sandwiched between 2 breads, along with mayonnaise, lettuce, sliced tomatoes and sliced onions.
Try a tip
Try serving just the burger cutlets with green mint chutney, salad and grated cheese.