Creamy mushrooms and asparagus
A classic swedish mushroom recipe…simple and yet rich enough to serve when looking to impress
150 gm oyster mushrooms, 9 – 10 steamed/boiled asparagus tips, 3 tablespoons thick single cream, 3 chopped spring onions (only the white bulb part), 3 cloves finely chopped garlic, a large bundle of chopped fresh green chives, salt and coarse black pepper to taste, extra virgin olive oil, a splash of milk, rustic bread to serve
- Sauté the garlic and spring onions in the extra virgin olive oil till they are goldenish in colour.
- Add the oyster mushrooms and cook for about 7 – 8 minutes.
- Add the asparagus, herbs, salt, ½ the chives and coarse black pepper and stir well. Cover with a lid and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and add milk, if needed, to get the dish to a desired creamy consistency. Cook for another 3 – 4 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and stir in the remaining chives. Cover the vessel and let the added chives cook in steam for about 3 – 4 minutes.
- Serve with warm rustic bread drizzled with olive oil.
You can easily substitute the fresh green chives with dried herbs, the absence of the previous.
Try a suggestion
Try squeezing in a it of lime juice into the dish while serving to give you a sour cream kind of flavour. Also, try using dill instead of chives to get a more genuine swedish flavour.