Rajma masala…Red kidney bean curry
350 gm boiled red kidney beans, 1 finely chopped onion, 2 finely chopped tomatoes, 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste, ½ tablespoon turmeric, ¾ tablespoon garam masala powder, ½ tablespoon kasturi methi powder (optional), 1 chopped green chilli, ½ tablespoon cumin seeds, ½ tablespoon red chilli powder, salt to taste and oil to cook, a knob of butter
- Soak the red kidney beans for 2 hours and then pressure them till 2 whistles. The red kidney beans should be slight cracked open, but not completely cracked. Remove and drain the beans to collect the water. Do NOT throw away this water that was used for cooking the beans. Alternatively, just use a can of boiled red kidney beans.
- Heat some oil in a pan and temper it with cumin seeds.
- Add onions and cook them till they turn translucent.
- Add the garam masala powder and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add ginger garlic paste and cook till the raw flavours vanish (about 2 – 3 minutes).
- Add the ½ cup of the water that was collected by draining the kidney beans. If you chose to use canned beans, just use equal amounts of water.
- Add the cumin powder, turmeric and the tomatoes.
- Add the green chillies and some more red kidney bean water and bring to a boil. Shimmer for about 5 minutes with the lid on.
- Add the red kidney beans, salt, kasturi meethi powder and chilli powder. Cover it and cook for another 15 minutes. Stir intermittently.
- Add a knob of butter and serve with nan or rice.