Indian butternut squash subzi and butternut squash wraps
Here is a fun fusion recipe with butternut squash cooked in an Indian way…Excellant as a side dish, with an alternative to make a wrap out of it.
½ peeled and chopped into cubes butternut squash, 1 chopped onion, 2 chopped green chillies, ½ tablespoon black mustard seeds, ½ tablespoon cumin seeds, 1 peeled and chopped garlic clove, a small chunk of squashed root ginger, 4 – 5 curry leaves, ½ chopped bell pepper, a pinch of turmeric, salt to taste and oil to cook, spring onions and coriander to garnish
- Heat some oil in a pan and add the curry leaves and mustard seed. Allow them to crackle and then add the cumin seeds and green chillies and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the onions and fry them till they are slightly goldenish in colour.
- The, add the turmeric, ginger, garlic and salt and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the cubed butternut squash and mix well to ensure that the seasoning is applied to all the cubes. Cover the vessel and cook till the butternut is soft. Stir occasionally. This should take about 10 – 12 minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander and spring onions and serve with nan bread or rotis.
Try a tip
Try using leeks instead of onions if they are in season. You can also try the same recipe with fresh pumpkin. Also, you can very well use the same mix to make butternut squash wraps. For this, cook the butternut in the same way as described above. Warm a tortilla wrap, and apply some mayo to it and add the subzi to it. Add an extra layer of salad and a few drops of Tabasco sauce for the more adventurous of you people. Wrap it up and enjoy a tasty meal…an excellent idea for lunch.