Spiced Indian carrot and tomato soup
Let me start with sincere apologies for vanishing for so long, but I was on an extended vacation back home in Mumbai. And I am not back with a bang…with lots of lovely home made uniquely Indian recipes that I grew up with. So here’s starting with my all time favourite tomato soup.
6 tomatoes, 2 carrots, ¼ tablespoon turmeric, ¼ chilli powder (optional), 3 cloves, 1 small cinnamon stick, ½ tablespoon cumin seeds, 7 – 8 curry leaves, ½ tablespoon sugar, salt to taste, 1 tablespoon butter, coriander to garnish
- Cut the tomatoes and carrots into small pieces and cook in a pressure cooker until 1 whistle. Optionally, the tomatoes may be de-seeded before cooking.
- Allow the tomatoes and carrots to cool after opening the pressure cooker. Grind them in a fine paste in a blender.
- Heat the butter in a deep pan.
- Temper it with curry leaves, cinnamon stick, cloves and cumin seeds.
- Transfer the tomato and carrot paste to the pan and add water as per desired consistency.
- Add salt, sugar, turmeric and chilli powder, if using. Stir well and bring to a boil. Allow to shimmer for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander and serve with bread croutons.