Green garden risotto
A quick healthy risotto recipe, especially if you want to get rid of all the lingering greens in the fridge.
1 cup risotto rice, 1 cup finely chopped spinach, 4 -5 chopped broccoli heads, 3 -4 chopped spring onions, 1 tablespoon mixed dried herbs, 3 finely chopped garlic cloves, 1 tablespoon vegetable stock powder dissolved in appropriate amount of water, 1 chopped green chilli (optional), 1 tablespoon butter, salt to taste, fresh coriander to serve
- Heat the butter in non-stick pan and temper it garlic and green chilli, if using the latter. Sauté for 2 minutes.
- Then, sauté the chopped spring onions in it for just 2 – 3 minutes.
- Lower the flame and add the risotto rice. Sauté it till it becomes slightly transparent in colour.
- Add the vegetable stock to the rice and allow it to cook with the lid on for about 10 – 12 minutes on a medium flame.
- Add the spinach, broccoli, salt and dried herbs and ½ cup of water. Cover the lid and cook for another 10 minutes, intermittently stirring the rice. Add required amount water to get a thick soup like consistence, if the preparation appears too dried while cooking.
- Turn off the flame when the rice is cooked by still has some bite left to it.
- Stir in some fresh coriander and serve hot.
Try a tip
Try grinding coriander with mint and then stirring it in before serving for a very fresh summery taste. Also, stir in some cheese for a more creamy taste.