Spicy nutty potatoes
Here is an all rounder potato dish…perfect on its own, as a part of the main course or as a side dish. Simpleto make, great to taste, the potato once again to save your day!
4 baby potatoes (chopped into small cubes), 5 – 6 chopped green chillies (alternatively, adjust the quantity to suit your taste), ½ cup raw peanuts, ½ tablespoon cumin seeds, ¼ tablespoon sugar, salt and black pepper powder to taste, oil to cook, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Coarsely grind the peanuts and green chillies together such that about half the peanuts are maintain as nutty pieces.
- Heat some oil in a pan and temper it with cumin seeds.
- To this, add the chilli-peanut mix. Roast it on a medium flame for about 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add the potatoes, salt, sugar and black pepper powder and cook on a medium flame with a lid on till the potatoes soften. This should take about 10 – 12 minutes depending on the size of the potato cubes.
- Squeeze in some lemon juice and serve warm.
Try a tip
Try adding some roasted pumpkin and sunflower seeds to get an even nuttier taste. In this case, reduce the amount of peanuts. Stir in some finely chopped coriander as well for a fresh taste.
If you are an Indian and fast according to the Hindu mythology, the original recipe (without the additional tips) is fine to take in as a ‘fasting’ snack.