Pasta in cooked spinach pesto
Spring is here, the colours are out and so is the warmth. Lovely shining days perfect for picnics and reading books, lying on the grass. Combining these pleasures with the lighter flavours of spring freshness is just a cherry on the cake. Here is a simple recipe for a quick, filling and health spring meal.
1 bowl boil pasta, 1 bowl finely chopped spinach, 1 green chilli (optional), 5 green olives, 3 garlic cloves, a small knob of ginger, 1 small largely chopped onion, 1 largely chopped tomato, a sprig of rosemary, 10 – 12 fresh mint leaves, 1 tablespoon pine nuts, ½ tablespoon dried herbs, 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt and pepper to taste, a squeeze of lemon juice
- Add the spinach, green chillies, olives, garlic cloves, ginger, onion, tomato, pine nuts, rosemary and mint leaves to a blender and blend into a fine paste.
- Heat some oil in a pan and transfer the raw spinach pesto to it. Add 3 tablespoon of water and mix well. Cover and cook on a medium flame for about 5 minutes to dismiss raw flavours. Thereafter, the spinach pesto will slightly change colour
- At this point, add the dried herbs and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and add the boiled pasta. Mix well to coat all pasta with the pesto.
- Squeeze in some fresh lemon juice and serve warm with a leaf salad.
Try a tip
Try adding some crumbly feta to the pasta before serving for a fresh richer taste