Roasted spring rolls
When it comes to Chinese snacks, spring rolls are always at the top of the list. And with spring on the doorstep, these are a perfect side dish at barbecue parties. Here is a lovely recipe for baked/roasted spring rolls to welcome the season.
½ finely chopped leeks, 2 finely chopped spring onions, 1 sliced bell pepper, 1 grated carrot, 1 small cup of finely chopped cabbage, a small knob of grated ginger, 3 grated garlic cloves, ½ tablespoon sugar, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 1 tablespoon vinegar, chilli flakes to taste (optional), ready to cook thin rolled pasty sheets, salt and black pepper to taste and oil to cook
- Heat some oil in a pan and add the chilli flakes to it, if using.
- Add the onions and leeks and sweat them for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add the grated ginger and garlic and mix well. Thereafter, add the vegetables and cook on a medium flame, with the lid on for about 3 minutes or till the veggies are just half-cooked.
- Now, stir in the soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, black pepper and salt and mix well. Cook for another 4 minutes. Remove from flame.
- Place this stuffing in the middle of a pasty sheet and wrap it like a wrap. Bake in the oven at 220⁰C for a10 – 15 minutes. Alternatively, roast the spring rolls on a wide open pan on a medium flame, using the spatula to press down the rolls for a good cook.
- Enjoy with sweet chilli or soy sauce.
To make the pasty sheets at home, simple use all purpose flour and season it with some salt. Adding eggs is optional. Knead it with water to form a firm dough. Then using a rolling pin, roll out the dough into thin sheets and use them to make the spring rolls.