Broccoli is a fantastic vegetable, high in fibre and vitamin C. While the rest of the world quite manage to use it in at least some of its cruisine, it is difficult to amalgamate it with Indian food since traditionally, this veggie has not been a part of the Indian platter. So, here is a lovely fusion recipe for those who want to cook broccoli the Indian way. The dish also serves as a great side or appetizer!
10 – 15 broccoli florets cut into bit size pieces, 3 tablespoons chick pea flour, 1 tablespoon cumin seeds, 2 chopped green chillies, ¼ tablespoon turmeric powder, ¼ tablespoon garam masala, ¼ tablespoon red chilli powder, ½ tablespoon coriander powder, ¼ tablespoon cumin powder, 3 fine chopped garlic cloves, a pinch of aestofida, a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, salt to taste and oil to cook
- Wash the broccoli and leave to dry for 20 – 25 minutes to get rid of all water completely.
- Heat some oil in a skillet and temper it with aestofida.
- Add the cumin seeds and garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the completely dry broccoli florets and mix well to ensure that all broccoli florets are coated with oil. Cook the skillet and cook for 3 minutes.
- While the broccoli is cooking, transfer the chick flour to a mixing bowl and season it with cumin powder, garam masala, turmeric, red chilli powder, cumin powder, coriander powder and a pinch of salt. Mix it well to get rid of all the lumps in the chick pea flour.
- Add 1 tablespoon of oil to the seasoned flour and rub it into the flour with your hands. Thereafter, the flour will look like rugged bread crumbs.
- Stir the broccoli and salt it to taste. Stir again and cover and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Now, sprinkle the seasoned chick pea flour on the broccoli florets to coat all florets with the flour. With stirring, cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- Thereafter, give it a good stir. Then, sprinkle it with some water to help the flour coat on to the broccoli florets.
- Stir again. Cover and cook once again for 3 minutes.
- Switch off the flame and squeeze in some fresh lemon juice.
- Serve with hot chapattis and as a wonderful healthy side dish.