Roasted mushroom and pearl barley stew
With my list of healthy food ever growing, pearl barley has been a new addition. Here is a quick recipe for a pearl barley stew. Coupled with butter roasted mushrooms cooked in a nice creamy stew, this soup of filling for the both the tummy and the senses.
2 large flat mushrooms cut in medium sized slices, 3 tablespoons of semi (½) cooked pearl barley, ½ tablespoon vegetable stock powder, 3 finely chopped spring onions, a generous knob of butter, 2 grated garlic cloves, 1 finely chopped green chilli (optional), ½ glass milk, salt and pepper to taste, oil to cook
- Heat the butter in a stir fry pan and temper it with garlic.
- Roast the mushrooms in this seasoned butter for about 5 minutes or till they shrink in size and attain a nutty brown colour. Remove and keep aside.
- Heat some olive oil in the same pan and temper it with the green chilli, if using.
- Add the spring onions and cook for about 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock powder, semi cooked pearl barley and milk and bring to a boil.
- Add the mushrooms and season it with salt and pepper.
- Cook for till the pearl barley is soft but has a slight bite to it.
- Add water to bring to the desired consistency, if the stew seems too thick.
- Serve hot with crusty garlic bread.