Quick bulgur wheat pulav
With its wide suitability to most cruisines, Bulgur wheat is fast becoming my favourite. That it take only about 10 minutes to cook makes it even better to use. Here is another quick recipe with bulgur for the health fanatics like me.
1 cup medium bulgur wheat, 1 long sliced red onion, 1 deseeded and chopped tomato, 1 medium sized chopped carrot, ½ sliced red bell pepper, a handful of cashews, 2 finely chopped garlic cloves, a small knob of grated ginger, a pinch of turmeric, ¼ tablespoon red chilli powder, ¼ tablespoon vegetable stock powder, ¼ tablespoon garam masala, a pinch of sugar, salt to taste and oil to cook, a squeeze of lemon juice
- Boil 2 cups of water and stir in the vegetable stock powder in it. Add the bulgur wheat to it and boil for 10 minutes on a high flame and then shimmer for a couple of minutes. Drain the water and fluff the wheat. Keep aside, preferable spread on a tissue to remove excess water.
- Heat some oil in a pan and add the ginger and garlic to it. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the onions and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add the cashews and cook for a minute.
- Add turmeric and red chilli powder and mix well, sautéing for about 30 seconds.
- Add the red pepper, carrot and tomatoes and cook with the lid on for about 5 minutes, stirring intermittently to ensure even cooking.
- When the vegetables are almost cooked, add the fluffed bulgur wheat to it and mix well, ensuring that you don’t crush the bulgur in the process.
- Season it with salt and sugar and mix well.
- Add the garam masala and cook with the lid on for 2 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and serve hot with a squeeze of lemon juice.
Try a tip
Add some green peas and fresh finely chopped coriander or parsley for a fresh spring taste to this dish.