Meethi matar malai
Meethi or fenugreek leaves are great nutritious greens, packed with antioxidants and antibiotics. But I love these slightly bitter leaves only because they make a delious creamy curry with a completely different texture and taste compared to the usual curries in India. Try it for your self to know the difference.
½ a bowl of fresh green peas, a bowl of fresh finely chopped fenugreek leaves, 1 medium sized finely chopped onion, 1 grated garlic cloves, ¼ tablespoon ginger powder/½ tablespoon fresh grated ginger, ¼ tablespoon turmeric, ½ tablespoon sugar, ½ aamchur powder (dried mango powder), 2 finely chopped green chillies, ½ cup of fresh cream, salt to taste and oil to cook.
- Heat some oil in a pan and add the garlic, ginger and onions to it. Add a pinch of salt and cool till the onions become translucent and soft.
- Add turmeric, green chillies and aamchur powder it and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add the peas, stir and cook with a lid on till the peas are ¾ done.
- Add the fenugreek leaves, sugar, salt to taste (remember that salt has been added before while sautéing the onions and hence this time the levels just have to be adjusted) and stir properly. Put the lid on and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Pour in the fresh cream and cook till boil bubbles appear.
- Serve hot with naan and a dribble of fresh cream